Slow or Broken Web Page Loading on Belkin N150? (Solutions for Complete Beginners)

Update: Please note that this is more of a workaround then a fix. I have owned several Belkins in the past which simply do not work properly on issues such as this as well as others (port forwarding for example).

Ultimately, I have two recommendations for US or UK visitors as an alternative router (at the same price range). Otherwise, try out my fix below!

(UK) Linksys by Cisco WRT120N Wireless-N Router – 150 mbps (for CABLE connections i.e Virgin Broadband)

(US) Medialink – Wireless N Router – 802.11n – 150 Mbps – 2.4 Ghz – NEW Design w/ Internal Antenna for CABLE and ADSL Connections

The Fix (or Workaround..)

Fix slow loading pages on your Belkin N150

Your Symptons

• Your router is a Belkin N150 F6D4230-4 v1000 or similar
  • Web pages sometimes never load
  • Web pages sometimes load with missing images or look odd
  • The only way to remedy this is to constantly refresh the page
  • The problem occurs on wireless connections mostly but occasionally on wired ones too.

Solutions

I’ve always had one problem or another with Belkin routers yet I always find myself with them because of their cheap price.

My new Belkin N150, which I use with a Virgin Media cable modem connection, had an infuriating habit of failing to load every other web page, or loading it with missing media or stylesheet.

The fact that connections always seemed to hang at first then work fine after several refreshes lead me to believe it was a dns problem.

Changing the routers dns setting to google’s public dns server or opendns.org’s did not work.

It was only when I changed the network adapters dns settings to Google’s  public dns server(s) (8.8.8.8 and/or 8.8.4.4) on each individual machine on my network that the problem finally disappeared.

How to fix the problem in OSX

On each problematic OSX machine on your network..

1. Click ‘System Preferences’

2. Click ‘Network’

3. If your connection is wireless, with ‘Airport’ Highlighted click ‘Advanced‘.

If your connection is wired, with ‘Built-in Ethernet‘ Highlighted, click ‘Advanced‘.

4. Click the ‘DNS’ tab

Press the ‘+‘ button below to add new dns server ip address’s

add ‘8.8.8.8‘ and ‘8.8.4.4

Click ‘Ok’

Click ‘Apply’

Restart your router.

How to fix the Problem in Windows 7

On each Windows 7 machine on your network..

1. Click on the ‘network’ icon () in the bottom right of the task bar, then click ‘Open Network and Share Centre

2. Click on ‘Change adapter settings‘ in the left pane of the window that appears.

3. Right click the network icon which appears (It may be named differently as pictured) and click ‘Properties’.

4. Highlight the following item listed in this window “Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click ‘Properties

5. Change the toggle button from ‘Obtain the following Server DNS Automatically‘ to ‘Use the Following DNS Server Addresses‘.

Under ‘Preferred DNS Server‘ enter ‘8.8.8.8

Under ‘Alternate DNS Server‘ enter ‘8.8.4.4

Click OK.

Restart your router.

Connection Still Bad?

It may be that surrounding routers in your neighbourhood are causing interference with your router.

1. Experiment by changing the channel that your router broadcasts on.

type ‘192.168.2.1‘ into your browser whilst connected to the router to access the routers administration menu.

in the left menu select ‘Channel and SSID‘ or click here to go there directly.

you may be prompted for a password, enter it, or if you have not set one simply leave the password blank and click submit.

Change the wireless channel to a different number and click ‘Apply Changes’. Experiment with a broad range of channels before trying step 2.

If you experience no improvements to the connection try step 2.

2. Switch ‘Wireless Mode’ to 802.11g rather than 802.11b + 802.11g + 802.11n.

Click ‘Apply Changes’.

Enjoy uninterrupted web page browsing!

Be Sociable, Share!
Tags: , , , | post a comment.

Facebook Discussion

12 Comments

1. johnySVK
    Posted April 7, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

Hi, I have exactly the same symptoms. I figured out that if I turn off wifi in router settings than everything on wired connection is back in normal. But I still need wifi connection for my Netbook,

Did you find the sollution to how to configure router maybe? or linux platform?

Thanks

2. Thomas
    Posted April 7, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

Hi Johny, I don’t have a linux machine to hand at the moment, but what distribution are you using?

3. Sebastian
    Posted August 8, 2011 at 7:59 am | Permalink

Switch ‘Wireless Mode’ to 802.11g rather than 802.11b + 802.11g + 802.11n

That’s nonsense. Why buying N router just to set it work as G? N = 150 mbps, G = 54 mbps

4. Thomas
    Posted August 8, 2011 at 10:35 am | Permalink

“These products use the current draft version of the 802.11n standard. Compatibility with other draft-n and current 802.11n products is guaranteed by the Wi-Fi Alliance. However, some features were added in later revisions of the spec, and it is possible that they will not work correctly. In most cases a firmware upgrade will solve any problems (consider if you feel confident performing such an update). Also, while 802.11n is designed to be backwards compatible with 802.11g, 802.11b and 802.11a, it had been noticed that -n can interfere with the operation of current 802.11b and g products.”

Read more: http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/belkin-n150-enhanced-wireless/4505-3319_7-33649670.html#ixzz1UQrF0jYs

5. allan
    Posted April 10, 2012 at 10:33 am | Permalink

omg! ive had these stupid symptoms for about a year now…. thinking it was my new ISP.. and didnt really bother with it until I got fed up with it now… and this fix made it how it supposed to be! thank u so much!

6. Thomas
    Posted April 10, 2012 at 11:53 am | Permalink

Glad to hear it, thanks for stopping by.

7. Swarnendu Biswas
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 2:30 am | Permalink

Hi,

This is a useful post. I am facing similar problems on my Ubuntu Precise. Do you know of any workaround for Ubuntu?

8. Jeannie
    Posted June 21, 2012 at 1:11 am | Permalink

Great hints. You are still helping folks like us out. You increased wifi laptop speed from .5 Mbps to 7Mbps in 60 seconds at my house. I was ready to whip this router out the window, but you saved its life! I am so glad that helpful posts like this are left online. Thank you.

9. johny
    Posted June 25, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

i have a network, which used belkin N150 F6D4320 and N150 F7D1301, here my problem is that, when i connect windows xp to belkin f6d the network work fine, but when i try to connect to f7d or f6d using win 7 the whole network is down, and when both are connected stand alone e.i directly connected with a pc (XP or 7) it work fine.

10. Posted August 21, 2012 at 10:39 am | Permalink

Thanks,
    I was looking for a solution to this for a long time and switching the broadcast channel worked. Using Ubuntu 12.04
    All the best,
    Tiernan

11. Fiona
    Posted November 11, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I have been struggling with this problem for weeks – I had changed the router settings to Google DNS but not the adapter settings.

12. Kelsey
    Posted March 18, 2013 at 5:11 am | Permalink

You are awesome! Thank you so much for this work around. I was about to go crazy not being able to access Facebook, since most of my work is done there.

Post a Direct Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *

footer TipsPassions Website Portfolio Illustration Portfolio Graphics Portfolio View My Blog Project News